posted by: Joan Vine | on: Saturday, 3 November 2018, 18:46
During our recent stay in Corton village we caught the bus to Lowestoft and made our way along the south promenade to Pakefield. We eventually arrived at the thatched roof church on the cliff, originally two churches but now one.
At the end of the 10th century, or at the latest, by the beginning of the 11th century there were two semi-detached churches in Pakefield. They were mentioned in the Domesday Book. Each church had its own Rector and its own congregation until 1411. It was not until 1748 that the two churches were legally and permanently joined to become the Parish Church of All Saints and St Margaret.
On the night of 21st April 1941, two incendiary bombs were dropped on the thatched roof with disastrous results. The villagers fought valiantly to contain the fire, with the fear from the German bombers still flying overhead. We read on an information sheet in the church that a thick mist rolled in from the sea completely covering the church thereby hiding the building from the air. Fortunately, the walls remained fairly sound and intact, and the tower was not damaged. The roof and most of the furnishings were either destroyed or rendered unusable, and so it remained until the war was over.
Rebuilding began as soon as it was possible, and the church was rededicated by the Bishop of Norwich on Sunday 29th January 1950. The church was well worth visiting and one of the new windows is dedicated to Elizabeth Graham Hunt the founder of the Pakefield Mothers Union, which is still flourishing. We also saw the MU Banner. - Article by Doris & Peter Baker
To read more articles, go back to the top and click on ‘Blog’. Then click on Tags or Archive dates.
Posted: 3 Nov 2018 | There are 0 comments
You can comment on this article here (All fields required)